In the eighteenth hundred and forty-seventh year of our Lord and Savior, a new birth came forth. The birth of Towaliga County Line Missionary Baptist Church. This birth came as a result of a band of believers joining together, sharing the same vision and standing upon the promises of God. This ministry began at a place called “Buck Short”. The Word was preached, souls were saved and several were added to this work.
Through the Lord’s inspiration, the land that our present structure sits on was donated in 1866, continuing to grow in faith; the believers united and erected their first church building.
Several great men of God have contributed to the progress and furthering of the Gospel since the birth of Towaliga County Missionary Line Baptist Church. The first recorded Pastor, was the late Rev. Clark Gilmore. Following his tenure of service, eight other Pastors shepherded this flock, accomplishing much during their service:
Rev. Jack Williams (1900 - 1912)
Rev. J. S. Roberts (1912 - Unknown)
Rev. E. O. Biviens (Year Unknown)
Rev. J. H. Lockette (1938 - 1940)
Rev. I. S. Jester (1940 - 1963)
Rev. Saint John Clark (1963 - 1969)
Rev. F. L. Harris (1969 - 1983)
Rev. Eddie F. Collier - (October 1983 - Present)
Seeing a need to reach men through the grace of God and the support of the church, Rev. Collier is continuing to lead Towaliga to higher heights. Worship Services are held each Sunday with Consecration and Praise Services during the week. Sunday School and Bible Study Classes meet weekly. The Ministries of the church were reorganized under his leadership. Multiple Ministries have also been added to the church as a result of his dynamic pastorship.
Reaching men throughout the community, the church has a Media Ministry (radio, television, tape and website). And a food pantry for the less fortunate, not only during the holidays, but throughout the year as well, which is another means of the church’s Outreach Ministry.
In 1986, the church mortgage (which we know as the Christian Education Building.) was paid in full and a Mortgage Burning Ceremony was held. In 1987, a major renovation of the interior and exterior took place. The parking lots were also paved. From teaching and hearing the Word of God, members began to tithe.
As a result of the Pastor and Deacons vision in 1992, and the combined efforts of the church family, a Ground Breaking Ceremony was held for the construction of our new church building, Sunday, May 29, 1994. A day of shouts of joy in the sanctuary ended with a special service on the grounds. Construction began during the first week of September, 1994.
June, 1995, the construction of the new church was completed. On Sunday, June 25, 1995, a Ribbon Cutting ceremony was held prior to our marching into the new sanctuary. On this joyous occasion filled with shouts and joy, approximately 1,000 members and friends joined us as we praised and thanked the Lord for this blessing. Our former sanctuary is now known as the Christian Education Department.
As God’s Word declares, “Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, all these things shall be added unto you,” the Christian soldiers of old first sought the Lord for themselves, shared their experiences with others, then watched God perform His Word. Through the existing years of this church, God continues to bless us with the things we need. He has allowed us to add to and to beautify His sanctuary and surrounding properties. Greater than the physical or natural miracles, He has saved, restored and renewed the lives of men adding to the church daily. As Pastor Collier so often says, “We preach Jesus and the Lord adds to the church as He sees fit”.
God has given Towaliga County Line Baptist Church a shepherd after His own heart and rewarded him with armor bearers in the persons of Minister Emmanuel Clowers, Minister Nora Belle Jester, Minister Gloria Whitmore, Minister Wanda Crowder, Pastor Veronica Smith, Pastor James Smith, Minister Prince Arnold, Minister Robert Watts, Minister Erma Rogers, Pastor Dexter Jordan, Minister Vickie Head, Minister Clinton Harris, Minister Alvin Richardson, Minister Gwendolyn Davis, Minister Pat Gaston, Minister Lorenzo Law, Pastor Wayne Ellis, Minister Diane Fort, Minister Carrie Daniely, Minister Winfred Akins, Minister Marcus Taylor, Minister Jon Thomas, Minister Kimberly McMullen, Minister Jason Russell. *Deceased - Minister Jerry Murphy, Minister Ernest Phinazee and Rev. Larry Newton, Pastor Maxie Ellis, Jr., and Minister Sandy Starks.
We are blessed to have such a church with a firm foundation, function and future. We have come this far by faith, leaning on the Lord. He has been our helper in ages past. He is our keeper in this present age and He is our builder in future ages. For Habakkuk encourages us, “For the Vision is yet for an appointed time; though it tarry, wait for it, for it shall surely come and will not tarry”.